SportsMemo.com
Login:
Click to Use Secure Login
Podcast
NOTICE: If you can not view the forum, you may need to log out of SportsMemo.com and log back in to recreate your forum session.
HOMERECAPRADIOFORUMBLOGSLIVE ODDSBESTBETSHANDICAPPERS TWITTERRSS FEEDFACEBOOKEMAIL & CONTACTS
MLB BLACKOUT RULES IN LAS VEGAS MAKE NO SENSE
Views: 4902
Posted by Drew Martin
Replies: 1

He has often said it in the past year. Las Vegas is a viable option for an MLB team.

Yes, commissioner Rob Manfred seems to be a progressive leader who is open to the expansion of sports gambling. But there is one problem in this particular case. His sport has thumbed its nose at this market for years with its archaic TV blackout rule.

Mr. Commissioner, I get how you want to use Las Vegas as a bargaining chip to convince Oakland to finally build the As a new home. But we play a lot of poker here in the desert, and we recognize a bluff when we see one. Yours is the only major sport that continues to black out games on networks such as ESPN and even your own.

Frankly, I am surprised that the ESPN contract worth $700 million a year allows you to do so. ESPN needs all the viewers it can get.
This is a market that is home to thousands of transplanted Californians and Arizonans. Some bet on baseball; most dont. Either way, they would love to watch the Dodgers and the Giants, the Angels and the As, the Padres and the Diamondbacks on a regular basis. But Mr. Commissioner, while the NHL and NFL are embracing Southern Nevada, you are spurning it. And I am still trying to figure out why.

If we go back to the original reason for blackouts, it was to encourage fans to show up at the ballpark and pay to enjoy the live experience rather than sit at home and watch the games on TV. But when MLB blacks out a game in Las Vegas, it doesnt follow that someone is going to drive to Dodger Stadium or fly to San Francisco. The economic reason for preventing Las Vegas from seeing 20 percent of the teams makes no sense.

In other words, Mr. Commissioner, in an area where many cant afford the more expensive satellite baseball packages, how does this massive blackout promote your sport to a viable market?

Think of it this way. If a team eventually lands in Las Vegas, doesnt it make sense to showcase baseball at every opportunity? After all, it pays to have your potential customers familiar with your product before you try to sell it to them.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/betting/mlbs-blackout-r ules-in-las-vegas-make-no-sense/

Reply by sissipher

I have PlayStation Vue as my t.v. streamer. I get the Oakland, SF, SD, games all on the Vue app. I can also get Angels games using the FoxGo app using my vue subscription. Not bad for $35 a month + internet.

Package this along with the MLB Package I get all games except Dbacks and Dodgers games.

I believe you can get the Dbacks on Cox cable in Las Vegas.

I have no idea where or what channel the Dodgers are on. I don't think most people in LA even get them either.

It's not that bad anymore, however the rules are ridiculous for blacking out any team in any sport now days.

MLB
Current Blog Topics
Current Blog Topics
SportsMemo Ads
Discussion Forum
-------------------------------------
Post SubjectTime    Last Poster
Hawaii/army09:28    polarcat99
College picks week 323:27    griebe
UCLA +30 vs Sooners13:51    nineball66
CFB Weather issues for week 314:49    benfranklinsports
CFB Projected PR Lines Week #312:27    Rob_Veno
NFL Opening Line Report Pod...11:18    Drew Martin

Current Blog

-----------SportsMemo-----------

Copyright © 2007 SPORTSMEMO, INC, 1-800-575-3069. Sportsmemo.com is the nation’s premier resource for sports betting and handicapping information. Get free football picks, free NFL picks, free college football picks, free baseball picks, free NBA picks, free college basketball picks, free hockey picks, free golf picks, and free soccer picks from the nation’s top handicappers. Sportsmemo's sports betting insight and analysis comes from some of the most respected sports handicappers in the sports gambling industry including Ted Sevransky (Teddy Covers), Brent Crow of Alatex Sports, Rob Veno, Ian Cameron, and Drew Martin. Listen to these handicapping experts daily on the Sportsmemo Podcast Monday-Friday at Sportsmemo.com.  Missed the Sportsmemo Podcast?  Past shows are available on Sportsmemo.com's podcast archive page. Looking for daily sports betting tips and sports betting advice on the MLB, NBA, NCAA, NFL, NHL, CFL, and PGA? Check out the interactive sports betting posting forum, power ratings, expert handicapping blogs, and original sports betting articles from the Sportsmemo team that specializes in sports information from a pointspread perspective at Sportsmemo.com.   Sep 19, 2018 05:10 PM.